Benefits Data Trust (BDT) seeks a Development Manager who will partner with the Senior Director of Development in executing the organization’s fundraising plans to achieve financial targets. Primary responsibilities include cultivating relationships with new prospective funders, stewarding relationships with existing funders, writing proposal and reporting, maintaining internal processes, like pipeline meetings, planning meetings and updating the donor database, and supporting cross-departmental projects.
Based in our Center City Philadelphia office, the Development Manager reports to the Senior Director of Development.
- Meet annual funding performance targets by managing a mix of new and recurring funders that vary in size and type, i.e., major donor, foundation, corporate, government
- Steward funder relationships to meet our shared goals and increase year-over-year revenue
- Cultivate prospective funders toward new commitments
- Serve as the internal expert of your portfolio’s priorities and recent developments
- Manage an annual calendar of proposals and reports to meet all deadlines with adequate time for drafting, review by stakeholders, and rounds of editing
- Produce compelling proposals and reports that are accurate and lead to financial commitments. Often with new projects, original language will need to be produced
- Ensure efficient coordination of business development activities, including internal stakeholder coordination, funder site visits, and accurate database management
- Ensure that funding opportunities, cultivation activities, and related records are accurately reflected in the donor management database (Salesforce) in real-time
- Provide detailed, relevant research about qualified prospects, including recommendations for best approaches and social connections
- Stay current on industry trends, new opportunities, and changes to relevant donor priorities as related to the organization’s fundraising strategies
- Additional responsibilities include management of discreet projects and ongoing operations, including but not limited to gift processing, annual appeals, employee giving campaigns, event management, reconciliation of financial records, etc.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated attention to detail; ability to communicate with diverse groups of people
- High level of proficiency in MS Office 2007 (including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); experience with Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, or other Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool strongly preferred
- Must possess creativity, a strong work ethic, an entrepreneurial spirit, project management skills, and a sense of humor
- Must have the ability to collaborate across cross-functional teams, manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize assignments, and work independently
- Ability to change course quickly, adapt to new challenges, and deal with sometimes ambiguous circumstances
- Familiarity with public benefits is a plus
- Degree from an accredited college or university, 3+ years of business development and/or professional writing experience
Benefits Data Trust (BDT)is a national nonprofit that helps people live healthier, more independent lives by creating smarter ways to access essential benefits and services. Each year, BDT helps tens of thousands of people receive critical supports using data, technology, targeted outreach, and policy change. Since inception in 2005, BDT has submitted over 800,000 applications – more than any other single entity in the country – securing over $7 billion in benefits and services. BDT employs more than 170 people and provides enrollment assistance to individuals in six states, and policy assistance to states nationwide. For more information, visit bdtrust.org.
To apply for this position, click here.